Are you interested in becoming a Tour Guide?
We have many people apply to work with us, keen to become a Tour Guide. Unfortunately, many of these keen folk, do not have the required Driver’s License (Light Rigid minimum), a Public Passenger Vehicle ancillary certificate and current First Aid qualifications.
A Light Rigid License (or higher) is required to drive our fleet of vehicles. We are also looking for people who can drive with luggage trailers. For our team to consider taking on a new Tour Guide, these are both essential criteria for the job. It can take some time to acquire an upgrade on your regular driver’s license, so it’s important to jump right in and get the processes underway and complete before applying.
The Public Passenger Vehicle ancillary certificate allows you to drive a vehicle with members of the public onboard. This is handled through Service Tasmania, and again can take some time to tick off all the necessary steps in the process.
We are unable to employ you or begin your training with us, without the above qualifications.
As of 01 October 2023 –
We are currently recruiting Tour Guides!
Tour Guiding Details
Tours Tasmania operate active day tours from Hobart and Launceston. We are currently looking for several Hobart based Tour Guides with previous Tour Guiding experience. We are also looking for several Launceston based Tour Guides.
We run small group active day tours to some of Tasmania’s best National Parks. We focus on the great short walks of Tasmania, wildlife, sightseeing, and high levels of interpretation along the way, sharing knowledge and passion for Tasmania’s special places.
We need motivated, friendly and service orientated people. People with a true love for the great outdoors and leading an active lifestyle.
Active Day Tours
Our day tours start and finish from the same location (Hobart/Hobart, Launceston/Launceston). A typical day will start around 6.30am and finish around 6.30pm. We do not operate overnight tours, so at the end of each tour day you return home. We do not cater food on our day tours, so there is no food preparation/serving throughout the day. You need to be an experienced and competent driver, along with an experienced, competent and passionate outdoor enthusiast. This is essential criteria.
We run small group active day tours to Tasmania’s National Parks & major sightseeing destinations. We focus on the “Great Short Walks” of Tasmania, wildlife & sightseeing. Tour Guides will provide high levels of interpretation & storytelling along the way, always sharing their knowledge and passion for Tasmania and it’s special places. Our guests come from all works of life, ages and backgrounds. We do not specialise in a particular demographic. Your sense of humour, general knowledge and communication skills, need to be able to cross all boundaries of society whilst remaining fun, informative and sensitive to your audience.
We are looking for fit, motivated & friendly Tour Guides. Guides who have a true love for people, travelling, the great outdoors and leading the way.
Our Hobart based tour schedule:
- Mt. Field, Mt Wellington and Wildlife Park
- Wineglass Bay & Freycinet National Park
- Tahune Airwalk and Hastings Caves
- Port Arthur & Tasman Peninsula
- Maria Island National Park
- Bruny Island
Our Launceston based tour schedule:
- Cradle Mountain National Park
- Wineglass Bay & Freycinet National Park
- Various bespoke itineraries across Northern Tasmania
Essential Requirements for our Tour Guides
- Current Provide First Aid (HLTAID011)
- Light Rigid Driving License or higher.
- Public Passenger Ancillary Certificate.
- Working with vulnerable people registration.
- Confident, experienced and competent driver of tour vehicles (Toyota Coasters with Trailers)
- Able to work regularly across a 7 day week roster
- Energetic, fit & healthy with an outdoor lifestyle
- Sound knowledge of Tasmania, geography, culture, people, flora & fauna
- Previous Tour Guiding experience, with skills and knowledge that can translate to Tasmania
- Dynamic, outgoing personality and customer service skills
- Leadership qualities
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Good problem solving skills
- Punctuality & time management
- Ability to work under pressure and in an ever-changing environment
- Safe & proficient driving ability
- Basic mechanical understanding of vehicles
- Travel and/or work experience – within Australia or overseas
- Experience dealing with people from other countries and cultures
- Fluency in spoken and written English
- Additional language skills a bonus
A Tasmanian Ambassador
You are responsible for ensuring our guests have a positive and memorable experience in Tasmania. It can be hard work but extremely satisfying. Tour Guides must work with many different nationalities and personalities under ever-changing conditions. You need to build trust and friendship so an empathetic and flexible nature helps.
Roster and Schedule
We have daily departures so you will be required to work a rolling roster that incorporates some weekends and public holidays. Due to the nature of peak summer season demands, it is expected that full availability for tour work is required from December – April.
Daily Duties include:
Driving to a daily timetable & safely, picking up and dropping off guests from city accommodation
Management and care of small tour groups of up to 20 people
Giving on-board talks, interpretative walks, fully participating in all aspects of the tour day
Safe driving and care of our fleet of Toyota tour vehicles and trailers.
Daily cleaning and routine checks of tour vehicles.
Tour administration duties including reporting and compliance paperwork.
Interacting with domestic and international travellers, providing a high standard of customer service and communication.
Please email your application as follows:
Intro letter & Resume to
Attn: Manager – Jen Winn